1 pigs caul
500g/1lb pigs fry (liver, heart and lights)
250g/8oz pork belly
15g/½oz fresh sage, chopped
salt and pepper, freshly ground
1. Soak the caul in tepid water for 1 hour, then drain and dry.
2. Cover the pigs fry, pork belly and onions with water and simmer for 1 hour. Drain off the liquid and reserve.
3. Mince the pigs fry, pork and onions and add to the breadcrumbs. Add the sage, season with salt and pepper and stir well, adding approximately 2 tbsp of the cooking liquid to the mixture.
4. Cut the caul into 10cm/4in squares. Shape the mixture into balls and cover each with a piece of caul. Place in a baking tin and cook in the oven at 200C/400F/Gas 6 until brown.
5. Serve with thick, rich gravy made from the reserved cooking liquid and the juices from the tin in which the faggots were cooked.